Sunday, July 6, 2014

Advertisements on Websites

Advertisements on websites annoy the fuck out of me.  My most extreme example of a website I used to go to regularly, like more than once a day, was the Examiner.  Then they started to put in some ads.  Then some more.  One day, there was a commercial playing, waaaaay at the bottom of the page.  I had to scroll all the way down and stop the video in order to be able to even read the article I was trying to read, because I just can't concentrate on anything if there are loud voices talking.  Then one day there was two videos playing, at the same time.  Then one day, my computer completely crashed just trying to load the website, because there was two to three LOUD videos playing, a silent video, and an advertisement that overtook my entire screen that was also a video of some sort video.  Boom.  Crash.

Now, maybe this is my fault somehow, because I don't have a brand new computer that's specifically geared to run multiple videos at the same time.  My computer is actually geared for playing video games, which is does rather well, so I'm not sure what the problem is.  Maybe my video driver is out of date.  But that doesn't change the fact that, in order to read the articles on the Examiner website that I want to read, I have to spend about five minutes turning off ads.  It's really just fucking annoying.

I know that these free websites have to make money somehow, but I don't understand why they think it has to be via some extremely loud advertisements that completely ruin my concentration and cause my computer to crash.  I seriously doubt I'm the only one who has this problem.  So I just have to stop going to the websites in question altogether.  Which would, reduce their income, I would think.  I'm the type of person that, if I think something is interesting or funny, I share it on facebook.  If I REALLY like it, I'll share it on twitter and instagram, too.  So, by making me want to avoid their website completely, they are getting less traffic than they would have if they'd just stuck with plastering banners and pictures all over the place.  I don't care about ads at all, as long as they aren't videos.

They other thing about this is, there's websites like Publisher's Clearing House, if you want to play their online games, or enter sweepstakes, or anything at all on their website, you get to watch a commercial in between.  This isn't so bad, it doesn't crash my computer since it's only one and it doesn't take over my entire screen.  But!  You can't mute them.  At all.  I have to turn my sound off to my entire computer in order to mute the videos.  I don't know why, but I feel like that sort of thing should be illegal.  They force you to listen to the damn videos, unless you go that extra mile and just switch off your speakers, like I do.  Which is ridiculous, this means I can't listen to my music or my video game sounds, or anything at all, while I'm hoping beyond hope I win a million dollars and can stop stressing about money so bad for a while.  Of course since I live in California, the money problems will never end, but that's not the point I'm making here.  The point is, these advertisements and commercials on websites have gotten completely out of control, and I'm sick of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment